1. The honey bee has been around for 30 million years.
2. It is the only insect that produces food eaten by man.
3. Honey bees are environmentally friendly and are vital as pollinators.
4. They are insects with a scientific name - Apis mellifera.
5. They have 6 legs, 2 eyes, and 2 wings, a nectar pouch, and a stomach.
6. The honeybee's wings stroke 11,400 times per minute, thus making their distinctive buzz.
7. A honey bee can fly for up to six miles, and as fast as 15 miles per hour, hence it would have to fly around 90,000 miles - three times around the globe - to make one pound of honey.
8. The average honey bee will actually make only one twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in its lifetime.
9. It takes about 556 workers to gather 1 pound of honey from about 2 million flowers.
10. It takes one ounce of honey to fuel a bee’s flight around the world.
HELP SAVE OUR BEES
How you can help Bees survive?
Grow more Bee friendly plants (like our Bee Attract)
Make wild flower space in garden
Make or buy a Bee nesting box. These let the queens hibernate over winter.
Become a beekeeper - its fun and you get loads of honey as a reward
Buy local honey - it has a lower carbon footprint and it better for you!
Wash out used honey jars before recycling them. Honey brought in from abroad contains bacteria that can be harmful to our native Bee species.
Do not use chemical pesticides on your garden as they may cause Bees to become disorientated.
PO BOX 794
You can send us a cheque in the post and detail what you would like to order, it just takes around 2 weeks to get your products this way!
If you have any queries please feel free to send us an email by clicking on the link below.
Need to call us?